For 1 Batch(es)
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (can sub veg. oil or olive)
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (medium or sharp)
Cheese and Bacon Treats for your Pooch Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit (190 Celsius).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet.
- In a fry pan, fry the bacon strips until lightly crisp. Do not overcook as the bacon will cook more when the cookies are in the oven. Crumble/chop cooked bacon and set aside, reserving the drippings from the pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the Whole wheat flour and the all purpose flour until blended. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine coconut oil and beaten egg, the bacon grease drippings, and the milk and whisk until completely blended.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, mixing as you go along and stirring until the flour is well incorporated and a dough is formed.
- Add the shredded cheese and bacon crumbles and mix well until the cheese and bacon is well throughout the dough.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough until 1/4 - 1/2 inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, (size you use depends on the size of your dog) cut into desired shapes.
- Place onto the lined cookie sheet and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool.